Labour Relations Manager regular full time | AgeCare Corporate Walden Plaza Calgary, AB
AgeCare — Vibrant Seniors Communities
We’re founded on the belief that all seniors are entitled to a rich quality of life, with the opportunity to live as independently as possible, and we’re looking for the very best to join us. If you’re motivated by the privilege of serving our seniors with dignity, respect and compassion, keep reading:
As part of the corporate Human Resources team, the Labour Relations Manager will be working under the direction of the Vice President, Human Resources to deliver a range of professional labour relations services at an advanced level including:
Direct Management of:
- Collective Bargaining preparation
- Collective Agreement Negotiations as well as participation as the Chief Negotiator
- Arbitration preparation and presentation
Act as resource for HR Advisors on complex matters related to:
- Employment and Labour Legislation
- Conflict Resolution
- Investigations and fact finding
- Grievance Management
- Union/Management relations
- Interpretation and application of collective agreements
The successful candidate will play the main role in union negotiations across several different unions and 8 collective agreements. This individual will remain current on labour trends, new methods and approaches and communicate these changes as appropriate to HR Partners and Management.
Top Talent, High Standards
With 3,100 + employees across Canada, our leadership team includes some of the best in the industry. You’ll work alongside empowering people who will help you rise to your full potential.
A difference you can measure
We’re about improving the lives of those around us and making a difference, every day. You’ll build lasting relationships with your team members and residents, learn their unique stories, and many will even feel like family.
Appreciation through and through
We don’t just employ our people — we celebrate them, we support them, and we recognize them for their amazing commitment all year long. Your wow moments won’t go unnoticed as you put your best foot forward.
About the Labour Relations Manager role:
What you'll do
- Manages all Labour Relations within existing unions
- Interprets and communicates labour laws, AgeCare policies, and union agreements to leaders and employees; provides guidance to maintain compliance
- Main point of contact for the interpretation of collective agreements in place and doing negotiations to ratify or implement collective agreements
- Works closely with management and employees in company to execute labour relations strategies, program and procedures
- Prepares for and leads mediation/arbitration hearings; prepares for and leads all negotiations
- Acts as a strategic partner to management, by providing knowledge on how to properly handle labour relations issues, and provides clear and supportive advice on resolutions
- Administers and interprets multiple collective bargaining agreements
- Participates in or advises on handling grievances or disciplinary matters
- Provides effective employee relations consultation and guidance to site managers for the resolution of identified problems with a key focus on maintaining a positive and inclusive employee relations climate through fostering a high level of employee trust, while providing appropriate coaching and advice to site managers.
What you'll need:
- Must have at least 5 years of demonstrated successful experience as a union environment Human Resources or Labour Relations specialist, or as a full time union representative
- Experienced in/demonstrated ability to participating in Collective Bargaining as the Chief Negotiator
- Post-Secondary Education with a focus in Human Resources, Labour Relations, Employee Relations, or a related discipline strongly recommended.
- Certification in Dispute Resolution, Mediation, Labour Relations or a related field would be an asset
- Certified Human Resource Professional (CPHR) certification would be considered an asset.
- Proven deliverables in conflict resolution, mediation, complex investigations, negotiations, grievance/arbitration handling and establishing collaborative union/management relationships
- In depth knowledge and ability to apply sound legal principals and framework with all aspects of labour relations and employment laws
- Must be a demonstrated effective relationship builder with employees of all levels, and with a positive, approachable and outgoing demeanor
- Strong consultative, listening and communication skills; ability to convey recommendations and opinions persuasively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to deliver presentations
- Healthcare/Senior Care sector experience a definite asset
Perks & Benefits
- Amazing employees to work closely with every day
- The opportunity to influence positive changes for all employees
- …And, oh yeah, great competitive salary and benefit plans
Send us your cover letter and resume and tell us about yourself. We want to get to know you — what you’re passionate about, who inspires you and why you’d be an awesome fit for AgeCare. Don’t forget to include your salary expectations!
NOTE: In an effort to further protect our vulnerable residents as well as other employees and volunteers, AgeCare requires all new employees to produce a clear Vulnerable Record Search prior to starting work. This search can be obtained through your local police service.