At AgeCare, our mission is to empower residents to live their lives to the fullest by prioritizing their health and well-being. We firmly believe that we are working in our residents’ homes, and we dedicate ourselves to providing a comfortable and person-centered environment. Working in long term care is more than just a job; it is a calling for many of us.
The Director of Care is responsible for the coordination and scheduling of resident care activities in compliance with applicable legislation and the maintenance of an atmosphere conducive to achieving the optimal health and welfare of the residents and employees.
What you will do:
- Accountable for the highest standard of resident care and quality of life being provided for the residents through the development and maintenance of appropriate care plans, effective supervision of the performance of nursing staff, provision of the required equipment and supplies and appropriate staffing pattern, nursing services, policies and procedures;
- Coordinate the hiring, orientation, continuing education, supervision, regular performance evaluation and if necessary termination of nursing staff. Review and approve relevant position descriptions;
- Assume responsibility for the Long Term Care Centre’s overall operations in the absence of the Administrator;
- Assist in the orientation and staff development of staff in other departments;
- Convene and participate in meetings as necessary to ensure the effective management and operation of the Nursing Department;
- Acts as an ambassador and role model for the Long Term Care Centre in all interactions with the community, residents, visitors, staff and volunteers both within and outside of the facility;
- Set goals and objectives for resident care progress;
- Actively promote, support and assist in public relations and volunteer recruitment programs. Role model and promote collaboration and coordination of services/programs with community agencies and other health care providers.
- Foster a collaborative relationship and effective, proactive communication with Ministry of Health representatives, the community, physicians, coroner, pharmacist, health care facilities, CCAC and other appropriate agencies or organizations, as related to Resident Care Services.
- Represent Long Term Care Centre at seminars, workshops and other appropriate meetings;
- As an integral member of the site leadership team, participates in decision-making particularly in matters related to staff and resident health and safety.
What you will need:
- Minimum of 3 years management experience in a long term care setting;
- Current certificate of competence with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse; and education in nursing, nursing administration and gerontology;
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing is preferred as well as past experience demonstrating progressive leadership and hands-on approach to monitoring and evaluating resident care;
- Post graduate studies in nursing, nursing administration and geriatrics are an asset.
- Sound knowledge of infection control practices, adult education, and workplace safety is an asset. Knowledge of relevant legislation is essential, as are computer skills.
1182 North Shore Blvd E