Dear Residents and Families,
As we move into a different stage of the COVID-19 pandemic, we remain committed to providing updates to our residents, families, and staff at AgeCare Walden Heights. As such, we will be providing weekly updates to keep you all informed on what is happening at our community and organization-wide.
These weekly updates will include:
- Timely information and announcements – this week we are covering the re-opening of our hair salon.
- Recreation highlights, as the need to stay active, intellectually stimulated, and socially connected never ends – even during these unprecedented times.
- A weekly shout-out to celebrate the great work and activities happening at our community.
These updates will be sent by Friday each week. We hope that you find these weekly updates helpful. Thank you all for your continued support.
Director of Care
Hair Salon Reopening
On May 25, 2020, the Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) advised that Hair Salons, including those in continuing care communities, can re-open.
As such, Dee’s Beehive officially re-opened on June 8, 2020. For the safety of all residents and staff, salon services will be by appointment only and walk-ins will only be accommodated if physical distancing can be maintained and the maximum capacity of the salon remains 4 people total.
Salon hours will be as follows:
- Monday-Friday between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Weekends – CLOSED.
To book an appointment, please contact Deanna Hartwick at 587-349-6073 or email@example.com.
As per the order from the CMOH, payment for salon services must be ‘contactless’ so cash will not be accepted. Your payment options include Debit or Credit card.
For the safety of all residents, staff, and salon staff, several protocols will be in place at Dee’s Beehive to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at AgeCare Walden Heights.
Please know, some circumstances such as outbreak status may disrupt service offerings or cancel them entirely. In the event of a confirmed COVID-19 outbreak at AgeCare Walden Heights, the salon will be re-closed until further notice.
What Dee’s Beehive is Doing
- All salon staff are required to undergo a health screening, including a temperature check before each shift, and each time they enter the building.
- Dee’s Beehive will have a maximum capacity of 4 people, including staff, residents, and essential visitors.
- Appointment times will be staggered to allow time for sanitization between residents and to ensure maximum capacity is not exceeded and no line-ups occur.
- The doors to the salon will remain closed at all times to limit foot traffic.
- The salon will implement enhanced cleaning procedures including but not limited to, regularly cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces (e.g., door handles, railings, chairs, customer counters, payment devices, workstations).
- Only equipment that can be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected, or disposed of between clients will be used.
- Salon staff will remain in the service setting for the duration of the service and will only service 1 resident at a time.
- Salon staff will keep a daily record of all appointments, including the resident’s name, time, and any person who accompanied them if applicable.
- Salon staff will not work in more than one facility on any given day and will remain off-site and off work, abiding by all required timelines, should they experience COVID-19 symptoms or any other illness.
- Dee’s Beehive will remain compliant with the CMOH orders, industry guidance and will follow all requirements and guidance with respect to services, including but not limited to frequent hand washing, continuous use of masks, enhanced cleaning procedures and other IPC guidance and occupational health and safety (OHS) requirements.
What Residents Can Expect at Their Appointment
- Residents will either be escorted by a staff member to their appointment or come on their own. Salon staff are unable to escort residents from their neighbourhood. Please indicate if an escort is requested at the time of booking.
- Residents should arrive 5 minutes before their appointment, no sooner, to ensure a line does not form outside the salon and allow time for sanitizing between clients.
- When arriving, residents will be asked to wash or sanitize their hands, and again before they exit the salon.
- Residents and salon staff will wear a mask during their appointment, which will be provided at the salon.
- Salon employees are required to wear a mask while providing services. We are encouraging residents to wear a mask during their appointment but this is not mandatory.
- While in the salon, all residents should adhere to the 2-meter physical-distancing protocols.
- In order to maintain physical-distancing while waiting, residents must wait outside the salon until their scheduled appointment.
- All non-essential items, such as magazines, will be put away to allow for easy cleaning and sanitization of the salon.
- Only 1 resident will be serviced at a time by salon staff.
- Contactless payment options including Debit and Credit will be available as cash will not be accepted.
- If a resident is on isolation/ill, they will not be charged a cancellation fee.
As we move into this new phase of the pandemic, we thank you for your continued support and for observing measures that help keep those who live and work in our community safe.
If you have any questions regarding the salon re-opening or the safety protocols for salon staff and residents, please contact me at (403) 669-6494 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Carol Law, General Manager, at (403) 873-4701 or email@example.com.
The need to stay active, intellectually stimulated, and socially connected never ends – even during these unprecedented times. Our recreation team is working hard to create engaging activities to enrich the mind, body, and spirit while ensuring residents can maintain appropriate physical distancing.
Recreation Highlights of the Week
Sending a big shout-out to our Recreation Department for all of their super hard work organizing and implementing the virtual, window, and Courtyard visits!