SOCIAL WORK WEEK
MARCH 1-7, 2020
What do social workers do?
- The practice of social work is focused on promoting or providing:
- the social functioning of individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities by improving developmental, problem-solving and coping capacities of people and systems
- effective and socially just systems that provide resources, opportunities and services to people and link people to those systems,
- the development and improvement of social policy,
- restricted psychosocial activities authorized by the regulations, including behaviour modification, counselling and therapy (Health Professions Act, Schedule 27)
Social Work at SkyPointe
- Within the Skypointe community, there are three Social Workers for Supportive Living, Long Term Care and the LTC Mental Health Unit.
- Part of the Allied Health team including Dieticians, Occupational Therapists, and Recreation Therapists
- Primarily responsible for supporting residents in ensuring legal decision making documents are complete, financial assessments, psychosocial assessments and interventions, supporting families, as well as promoting staff well-being
SkyPointe Social Work Team
Amra Lugusic, MSW, RSW Long Term Care
- Amra Lugusic has been hired by AgeCare Skypointe/Sagewood in the social work role for LTC since April 3, 2018.
- Amra completed Master Degree in Social from U of C in 2013 and is a Registered Social Worker.
- I have a number of years of experience and have worked in a variety of different settings and communities. I enjoy working with seniors and families in Long Term Care because I feel passion, great love and appreciation of who they are and what have they brought in to us from their own experiences.
I strive to create a safe, non-judgmental, compassionate environment that is built on respect, warmth, openness and honesty.
In addition to my work, I also enjoy reading books, long walks, recently joined Orangetheory Fitness, and spending time with my spouse and children.
Lynne Hogan, MSW, RSW Long Term Care Mental Health
- Lynne joined Agecare Skypointe in October 2018 with Whitehorn – Mental Health Unit after graduating from the Master of Social Work program at Carleton University, Ottawa.
- Her professional background includes policy development, poverty reduction and homelessness as well as in mental health working with adults, youth and survivors of the 2013 Alberta floods.
- She greatly enjoys working with our Whitehorn residents engaging them in their recovery goals!
- Outside of work Lynne enjoys yoga, hiking and meeting all dogs.
Konstantin Yemelyanov, Social Work Student
- There is almost no chance to rediscover the lost paradise of objective reality in the postmodern world we leave, somebody always have to have such an adventure.
- Postgraduate student, soon to obtain his master’s degree in social work, Konstantin currently has a pleasure and privilege to be a part of AgeCare Skypointe LTC unit.
- With his background in psychology and sociology he loves stories, fireplaces and sword fights.
Kennedy Huggett, BSW, RSW Mental Health Support Worker
- Kennedy is the Mental Health Support Worker on our Whitehorn neighbourhood
- She holds a Bachelor’s of Social Work and has been specializing in mental health, crisis support, and community resources during her years within social services
- For her, being a Social Worker means wearing many different hats in order to foster a sense of community, creativity, and caring, along with connecting people in need to the complex world around us
- In her free time she enjoys volunteering, rock climbing, spending time with her dogs, and enjoying music of all varieties