There is often a lot of confusion about the services that residents pay for and those paid for by the provincial government.

Health care related services, Care Funding, are paid by Alberta Health Services, through funds provided by the Government of Alberta.

Residents pay an Accommodation Fees to cover the costs of providing accommodations and services like meals, food service, housekeeping, and building maintenance.

Care Funding

Alberta Health Services, through funds provided by the Government of Alberta, is responsible for funding health care. Care funding provides for nursing services, recreation, and other care services such as therapy, social work and dietitians.

Who Qualifies for Publicly Funded Care in Alberta? To qualify for publicly funded care:

  • you must be eligible for registration with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan;
  • you must have lived in Alberta for three consecutive years at any time previously; or
  • you must have lived in Alberta for one year immediately prior to applying; and
  • you must have been a resident of Canada for 10 years or more.

Accommodation Fees

All accommodation fees for continuing care are set by the Government of Alberta and are based on the room type. Rates will increase on the 1st of July each year and pricing is set by the Government of Alberta. A current list of the continuing care accommodation rates is available through Alberta Health Services.

Financial Assistance, Benefits, and Pensions

Residents may be eligible to receive funds from government sources, including the Government of Canada and/or the Alberta Government. If you would like some assistance understanding the information on these programs, please contact your social worker or case manager

Government Programs

Government of Canada

The following Government of Canada’s public pensions benefit programs may apply to you:

  • Canada Pension Plan
  • Old Age Security Pension
  • Guaranteed Income Supplement

Contact the Government of Canada

Call 1-800-277-9914, or

Visit canada.ca and select “Benefits“ > “Public Pensions”

Veterans Affairs Canada also offers support for qualified veterans and centre civilians, as well as their spouses or dependents.

Contact Veterans Affairs Canada

Call 1-866-522-2122, or visit veterans.gc.ca

Alberta Government

There are also several Alberta Government income support programs through Alberta Supports which may apply to you:

  • Alberta Aids to Daily Living
  • Alberta Seniors Benefit Program
  • Special Needs Assistance for Seniors
  • Supplementary Accommodation Benefit
  • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped

Contact Alberta Supports

Call 1-877-644-9992, or visit alberta.ca/alberta-supports

Book a tour

Come and see for yourself the quality of our care communities

Find your community

Use our interactive map to find your nearest community

Our blog

Browse out latests posts on residents' stories and senior living